Responsible Down Standard Certified
Eiderdown is proud to be the only Responsible Down Standard Certified bedding manufacturer in New Zealand. All of our Hungarian Down is RDS certified meaning it is held to the highest global standard in the ethical sourcing of down and feathers. This ensures that all Hungarian Down we receive are from free range farms that do not force feed or live pluck their birds.
What is the RDS?
The Responsible Down Standard is an independent, voluntary global standard, which means that companies can choose to certify their products to the RDS, even if there is no legislation requiring them to do so. The RDS was developed and revised over three years, with the input of animal welfare groups, industry experts, brands and retailers. The standard recognizes and rewards the best practices in animal welfare.
What does Responsible Mean?
The intent and spirit of the standard is best reflected by one of Oxford Dictionary’s definitions of responsible: “morally accountable for one’s behaviour.” Not only farmers, but brands and supply chain members need to meet their obligations to respect the Five Freedoms (see below) of the animals that provide their down and feathers, and to meet the trust of consumers that are choosing RDS products.
1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
2. Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
4. Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
5. Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Eiderdown has also earned the Responsible Down Standard certification. This ensures that all down used for products made in our factory are 100% RDS Certified. All of our RDS certified products proudly carry the RDS Logo on their packaging.